The Anderson County Animal Shelter is open to the public from 9 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday, and from 9 am to 1 pm Saturday.
Our ACACC Officers are available Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Anderson County Animal Care & Control has also partnered with PetSmart Charities, Inc. Through PetSmart Charities, Inc., cats and kittens from our Anderson County Animal Shelter are housed in a local PetSmart's Adoption Center. If you are interested in adopting one of our shelter friends, you may visit them at the PetSmart Adoption Center at 203 E. Main Street in Oak Ridge. PetSmart hours are 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. While ACACC does not have a PetSmart adoption center for dogs and puppies at this location, volunteers and staff regularly bring dogs from the shelter to the Oak Ridge PetSmart Adoption Center for adoption events.
As authorized and established by Anderson County Resolution No. 21-04-860:
* Citizens who wish to adopt animals that have become the property of Anderson County and are eligible for adoption will be charged: $85 per dog (all ages); $75 per kitten (six months and younger); and $50 per adult cat.
* All animals that are owner-surrendered to Anderson County will be subject to a $20.00-per animal surrender fee.
* A litter of animals surrendered to Anderson County will be subject to a $20.00-per litter surrender fee.
Under Tennessee State law, TCA § 44-17-502, spay or neuter of an animal adopted from the Anderson County Animal Shelter is required.
All animals reclaimed will be charged a $20.00 apprehension fee plus a $10.00 per day board fee.
ACACC makes every effort to place adoptable pets in homes, or help transfer them to partner rescue organizations. We are thankful for the support we receive from local and regional rescues pulling our animals, and we are always looking to cultivate additional partnerships to find homes for adoptable pets.
Below is a list of a few of our registered non-profit Partners:
- American Black and Tan Coonhound Rescue
- Better Animal Rescue Knoxville Area
- Clinton Animal Hospital
- East Tennessee Boxer Rescue
- Feral Feline Friends of East Tennessee
- Happy Paws Kitten Rescue
- Humane Society of Tennessee Valley
- Middle Tennessee Boxer Rescue
- Rescues for JoJo
- Shelter Animal Rescue Group
- Secret City Animal Rescue
- Sophia’s Grace Foundation
- Stray Connection
- Sweetwater Valley Dog Rescue
- Tennessee Animal Guardian Society
- Tennessee Border Collie Rescue
- Tennessee Pekingese Rescue
- The Stray Connection
Before being adopted, all dogs are vaccinated, receive deworming and Bordetella medication, and are tested for heartworm. Currently, we do not provide any testing or vaccination for the cats and we are working to accomplish this on our list of goals. All animals adopted or transferred to a partner rescue must be spayed or neutered.